Image Map

6.03.2013

broccoli salad update.

Why yes, I've written about this before. Apparently, I just really, really like broccoli salad. It's really the perfect cold side dish/main dish/spring/summer dish.

This time, I changed it up just a tiny bit. I based it off of Emily's dish, and tweaked it with Mel's (both blogs are on my sidebar with each one moving to the top of the list whenever they're updated).  These are my go-to blogs, as of right-this-second :)

Here's a rough estimate of what I did this time around:

1 package broccoli slaw
1 cup froz. broccoli florets (they thawed while the salad was in the fridge. i also use/sub fresh brocc.)
4-5 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c. give or take of nuts, I use sunflower seeds or cashews
1/2 c. craisins (you could also use golden raisins, but since we always have craisins, craisins it is--and i like craisins better :)
1/2c grated cheddar (totally optional, but a fun/caloric addition)
1/4c finely shredded red onion (i either use this, or add some diced apple, since I like a little crunch to the salad)

3/4c mayo (i used light hellman's--fab.)
3T vinegar (i change between white, cider, whatever you have, really)
3T sugar
salt and pepper

Seriously, the best part about this salad is that you can add whatever the heck you want. Sub in, take out, really make it your own. Just mix the dressing, add more of whatever ingredient (more sugar, more vinegar, whatev) to your liking, then pour over the mixed salad and let sit in the fridge for a few hours. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a note.