Image Map

1.28.2011

Spike's Village Fries

I know, baked fries are pretty amazing. And we don't even own a deep-fryer. But trust me, borrow your neighbors and make these fries soon. Your mouth will thank you. They come from our favorite burger joint in DC, Good Stuff Eatery. I know, I've talked about it here, here, and here to name just a few times. I got the cookbook for Christmas and sometimes just flip through it, it makes me that happy.

These are seriously the best fries I've ever had. Something about the rosemary and thyme just makes my heart melt. They're good by themselves, or with some amazing-flavored mayo (I always ate mine in DC with the mango mayo, but I haven't made that one at home yet) or plain 'ol bbq sauce from a bottle.

I didn't get a good picture this time, but until we make them again, for your viewing pleasure, they should look a little something like this.


Fries
  • 5 pounds Red Bliss potatoes
  • 1 cup chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 cup chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/4 cup sea salt
  • Canola oil for deep-frying
To make fries: Wash and scrub potatoes under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Cut in half lengthwise, then into long strips about 1/4-inch thick.

In a deep pot or deep-fat fryer, heat about 3 inches of oil until a thermometer reads 250°**. Line a metal tray or baking sheet with paper towels.

Add one handful of the potatoes to the pot. Fry until tender but have no color. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on the paper towels. Repeat the procedure until all the strips are cooked. Refrigerate until cool.

Reheat the oil to 350°. Line the metal tray with fresh paper towels.

Add the cooled potatoes a few handfuls at a time and fry until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on the paper towels. Toss with the rosemary, thyme and salt while the slices are still hot. Serve immediately. 

**The deep-fryer we use only had 300 F as it's lowest temp so we just watched them carefully to make sure they were tender but not totally cooked.

1 comment:

  1. Yea for you posting this!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to make them :) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete

leave a note.