Image Map

10.01.2012

it's fall!

We've already started having pretty cool weather over here--fall has come! And if you're on Pinterest, it started in June. But really, I'm totally excited about fall and all the exciting things to do eat because of it. Ok, fall outdoor activities are fun, too. But lately it's been so wet and dreary, so the indoor activities we've been up to are... eating.

Also, Ryan is a huge pumpkin fan, hence all the pumpkin.

On that note...except not really...I won the Mangum BL competition! We lost a total of mayyybe 5 pounds in 8 weeks, which is pretty terrible, but maybe not since it was mostly just "I'll only have one cookie today" or "No cookies today..." then 4 the next. We're starting the next round tomorrow and going through the holidays in hopes that we can maintain our weight (or lose ten pounds quickly so that I can gain it all back in Nov/Dec???) over the holidays. Wish us luck!

Here are our pumpkin desserts that we've made so far:

1. I highly recommend making your own pumpkin pie spice. That way you have control over the spice and you can really mix it however you want. Not a huge clover fan? Reduce it or nix it all-together. I'd use Joy the Baker's rendition as a starting block and go from there (example: I don't have cardamom so I don't use it/I use dried nutmeg so I only use a scant 1/4t).

2. I made soft pumpkin gingersnap cookies from Two Peas and their Pod last week and they were a hit. As in, I could have eaten them all in one sitting. As in, a few days after, when Henry was having a rough day, just about every time I went through the kitchen I had a cookie. Light and fluffy...so good. I have a thing for chewy, cake-y cookies and these totally hit the spot.

3. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. A Great Harvest copy-cat recipe. There are 4 eggs in this. And three cups of sugar (I used 2 1/2 to make myself feel better). It was the first pumpkin recipe of the season and I'm having a really hard time not making it again. It makes two loaves and since we only have one loaf pan I did one loaf and one 8x8 pan. So good. Moist and pumpkin-y and chocolate-y. Hint: the loaf took around 50 minutes and the 8x8 around thirty? Just set the timer for 20 minutes and go from there...

And my list of pumpkin desserts to make until spring (mind you, this list grows just about every day):

4. Pumpkin Pie Sheet Cake
5. Paula Deen's Pumpkin Bars
6. Pumpkin Spice Cookies
7. Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
8. Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
9. Pumpkin Swirl Brownies
10. Pumpkin Muffin (for 1)

PS. If you want some pumpkin in your life, but don't feel like baking, get some pumpkin ice cream, via Trader Joe's. Or come over to our house and we'll share, we promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a note.