Image Map

6.18.2012

sour cherry slab pie.

Vacation time with my fam means baking/cooking in the kitchen with my mom. And on Father's day it was no exception. We picked some sour cherries earlier in the week and my dad really wanted to make a pie. I wanted to try and mix things up a bit, so after googling sour cherry desserts (original, right?) I found a recipe from Smitten Kitchen (<< click there for the recipe) and I can't wait to try more things from Deb. It definitely took more work (aka, its a Sunday-only/Someone-to-watch-Hen kinda meal), but holey moley it was to die for.

We followed the directions spot on, except for a few minor changes. We added about as much sugar as Martha Stewart suggested (almost 1 1/2 cups) and with the pie crust, I incorporated the butter about 10 minutes longer than the suggested stop-when-the-clumps-are-pea-sized. Oh, and with the glaze I made up my own concoction of 1 c. confectioner's sugar + 2T. milk + a dash of lemon juice.

And it was amazing. Hand-held pies. A giant pop-tart. A giant toaster's streudel.

I can't wait to make this with fruit throughout the summer. And fall. One more recipe to add to the what-do-I-do-with-all-this-fruit conundrum.


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a note.