Image Map

7.21.2010

Gettysburg

We went to Gettysburg two weeks ago and it was a really fun trip. It's not too far from DC and the school hired a tour guide who was on our charter bus the whole time we went around the area. He was chalk full of knowledge and his family had been in the area since the 1700s! Crazy. I'm pretty sure my family was still in England or Germany or somewhere like that.

I took a bajillion pictures, but here are a few of my favorites:


Our tour guide mentioned that 80% of the houses in Gburg that were around during the civil war are STILL standing. I was super impressed. And they all have these sweet plaques near there front porches so that I know which ones are the coolest.


Like this one. That dot near the window is a shell from artillery fired during the three day battle. HOW COOL IS THAT?! (Also, not so cool, but super convenient, we were on the bus most of the time, so sometimes I got glare shots. What can ya do...)


Our sweet tour guide. Yup, the guy who's been here forever. Well, not him exactly. He was super knowledgeable, like I said, and he was also funny and made sure to point out all the statues from our home states that battled. It was very cool and much better than going around with just a CD explaining everything to you. Although we did pass by a few things I wish we could have gotten pictures of, but oh well.

[[The rest of the pictures aren't as educational as they are pretty, funny, or pretty funny... I crack myself up...]]


COWS! Yup, there are cows near the battle fields. Rad, I know. Living in the city, you don't see much livestock. Also, after seeing Food, Inc., I'm glad to see cows out in the open instead of crammed inside feed lots.



I got a little obsessed with all the green fields and cute wooden fences. It seriously made me want to live in the country for the rest of my life. Well, the thought stayed around until we ate at the Gburg version of Golden Corral and I said, bring on the second-hand smoke! Just kidding. But it made me wish the town had a few more eating options.

Last, but not least, I give you my favorite picture from the day:


We went on this tower to overlook Devil's Den, the Peach Orchard, and some other places of famous battles that I should know but I don't.... and anyway, it was super windy. So we took this picture. And I love it. It's my favorite.

There are more pictures, but I've got to lure you back SOMEhow, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a note.