Image Map

6.30.2010

Graduate school on our minds...

So Ryan and I have been thinking a whole lot about graduate school lately. It's a little bit crazy. I mean, I never really thought about grad. school super seriously, until now. But I've been looking at GRE study books and looking a little and grad. programs and it really excites me. I can't believe that one year from now we'll know where we're headed for the fall and be off and on our way to a brand-new experience!

Now, I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to grad. school, but let me tell you, after taking a practice verbal section, I feel dumber than a rock. All of these vocabulary words from the SAT and Honors English are totally fleeing my mind! Did you know what nonplussed means? Or penury? Or sycophantic?

Ugh.

In case you didn't know, the verbal section has some reading comprehension, some antonyms, and analogy. As Ryan tried to console me after having to look up 38 vocabulary words (no lie) and after I decided that we HAVE to buy 3x5 index cards at Target tomorrow, he told me this little gem:

Ryan: LSAT :: Emily: GRE

Meaning, we've got a lot of work to do. At least it's comforting to know that even my super-smart husband isn't super-smart at everything. I guess that's what humility is all about.

At the same time, if he's super-smart and didn't ace the test automatically, then what does that mean for me... Oh well. I'll keep you posted on how we do in the future. I got a 13/30 the first time, so it can only go up from there, right?!


(ps: Do y'all like the re-vamping of our blog? I thought it needed a bit of a makeover.)

2 comments:

  1. yeah...I read an article in the Post and by the time I had read the first paragraph, I had to look up three words: vapid (which I think I knew at one point), dais and banal. yep. :) we should study together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg emily! i took the gre in march i think & i did well on the verbal, but not on the math :( haha! Then I decided not to go to grad school yet. The moral of the story is you will rock the gre's face off!

    ReplyDelete

leave a note.